Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Proposal: Scott's Story

As promised - here is the whole story of the #Scari proposal from Scott's point of view. Look at the length of my story and then look at the length of his. Clearly, I am a woman and he is a man. 

Also, if you read yesterday's post, today's post and then go look at the photo album on my Facebook, you'll definitely feel like you were there with us.

           When the time came to think about a proposal, I had to figure out something that would be a total surprise to Kari.  Since she is quite intuitive I had to be a little sneaky and use some resources that would help me pull it off.  I had an idea of what I wanted to do, and just needed someone to be the perfect accomplice.
            One day before I planned on proposing, I called Jay Marks, Kari’s boss.  There were a couple times that Jay had reached out to me letting me know that he is happy to help with a proposal.  I let Jay know what I wanted to do and asked for Kari to have half of the day off, and he sprang into action.  Throughout the day I got phone calls with updates on what he was thinking or what would work best. 
            The next day I met Jay at nine at Circle R Ranch where we scoped out the location for the big event.  Right from there I left to go pick up the ring.  When I got there, it wasn’t finished.  All the blood in my body drained to my toes.  One quick phone call to Jay and he told me that he would go pick it up for me. LIFE SAVER. It all became VERY real. 
            I drove back from Arlington and went straight to Kari’s office to meet her for lunch.  We went to Z Grill and had a great time talking and relaxing (while I silently freaked out).  I had reserved tickets at the Perot Natural Science Museum, Kari and I had always wanted to go.  While at the museum I got a text from my mom saying that my baby brother, Andrew, got his mission call. This was a great way to disguise my nervousness.  We finished at the museum a lot faster than I expected, so it was time for me to stall.  I drove us across the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas. Thankfully there was a lot of traffic coming back, since I had to be at Circle R at seven o’clock, and not a second sooner.  
            We stopped at Kari’s parents house for a nap and a Coke (one was desperately needed) for a little more time.  The clock struck seven and the moment had arrived! My tactic for heading toward the ranch was to get some leftover food at Kari’s office for dinner.  While driving I said, “let’s check out Circle R and see what’s going on.” I pulled in and drove up the long and winding path.  As I kept on following the driveway, Kari kept saying “Ok stop, you don’t know what’s going on here.”  We rounded the corner and we saw a table set up with lights and flowers.  Then Kari got more insistent “Stop! Something is happening! We can’t be here! Stop!”  I told her “Maybe we should go and see what is happening.” That’s when it clicked. 
            I walked her down to the table, the ring was set out, flowers, pizza, and candles.  That’s when it all became a blur.  I managed to say how I felt, and found myself on one knee.  After she said “YES!” we walked around the lawn, looked at the pond and took in the beautiful surroundings.  Little did Kari know, Jay was in a tree with his long-range zoom lens, taking pictures of the amazing night. 
            From there we dashed home, watched my brother open his call, and jumped on the phone to let everyone know WE ARE GETTING MARRIED!

No comments:

Post a Comment